Pi Alpha Alpha Honor Society at FIU
The National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration
The purpose of this society is to encourage and recognize outstanding scholarship and accomplishment in public affairs and administration. The society seeks to promote the advancement of quality in the education and practice of the art and science of public affairs and administration. Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) objectives foster integrity, professionalism, and effective performance in the conduct of government and related public service activities. PAA membership identifies those with the highest performance levels in an educational program preparing them for public service careers.
How do I apply?
Please fill out the PAA Membership Application and email the application plus your unofficial transcript to Dr. Nicki Fraser firstname.lastname@example.org for requirements review.
Once you receive an official email acceptance from Dr. Fraser there is a one-time-only membership fee of $50.00 (instructions for payment are given after membership review).
This fee includes the NASPAA Certificate and Pi Alpha Alpha Pin to wear at Graduation, as well as Induction into the local chapter.
Please submit the completed application and transcripts by Midterm (Week 8) of the Fall or Spring semesters.
Who is eligible?
Membership is open to undergraduate and graduate students in schools of public affairs and administration, faculty, alumni, public officials, and scholars who have made significant contributions to the field.
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Completed 15 semester hours of course work required for the public administration major
- Hold a 3.5 GPA in all courses in public administration, and at least a 3.0 in all course work
- Must be in the last semester of their junior year or a senior (Transfer students who meet the qualifications for undergraduate membership may be inducted after they have completed a minimum of one full year of course work in the school in which the chapter is located).
Masters Degree Students
- Completed at least fifty percent (50%) of the required course work (a minimum of 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours).
- Hold a minimum 3.7 GPA
- Doctoral students who meet the requirements for Pi Alpha Alpha Masters degree student membership or who have completed all the requirements for the MPA or its equivalent may be inducted without restriction.
What are the benefits of membership?
- Qualification for a federal pay grade increase due to Superior Academic Achievement
- Lifetime membership in Pi Alpha Alpha along with a Certificate of Affiliation and Graduation Regalia
- Opportunities to receive research, conference, and travel funding from GSA, SGA, CSO
- Exclusive participation in networking events and community engagement projects
- Access to special Pi Alpha Alpha scholarships and awards through NASPAA
- Leadership development and expand your understanding of public affairs
Do you sell other graduation regalia?
Once you have been inducted, you can purchase additional Pi Alpha Alpha regalia such as medallions and honor cords to be worn during commencement at (PAA Student Store).
Please contact email@example.com if you have any other questions.
Dr. Nicki Fraser
Call to Action:
Leadership and Committee (Membership, Events & Public Relations) Positions are Available: Students should email a brief Statement of Interest to firstname.lastname@example.org