Nonprofit and Community Development
Co-Chair: Dr. Sukumar Ganapati
Co-Chair: Dr. Susannah Ali, MPA Director
The Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit and Community Development is intended to provide critical tools and analytic frameworks useful to local decision-makers responsible for developing and managing sustainable, high-wage communities in an increasingly competitive world economy. Course material will address the critical drivers of local and regional development in the context of South Florida’s “gateway” status for commerce and immigration. Content will address spatial, managerial, and social components of development. The certificate is aligned with FIU’s urban mission of providing engaged learning in its service area as well as the Departmental mission of our NASPAA-accredited Master of Public Administration (MPA) program which primary student body is in the local government sector.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- PAD 5805 Economic Development and Urban Revitalization
- PAD 6142 Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- PAD 6209 Financial Management in Public and Nonprofit organizations
Elective Courses (6 credits)
- PAD 5043 Government & Minority Group Relations
- PAD 5443 The Public Administrator & Media Relations
- PAD 5616 Contracting & Managing Third Party Governments
- PAD 6038 Policy Formation & Legitimization
- PAD 6717 GIS Applications for Urban Management
- PAD 6807 Urban and Municipal Government Administration
- URP 5426 Emergency Management and Planning
- URP 6315 Introduction to Urban Planning and Growth Management
- PAD 5934* Contemporary Issues in Public Administration
- PAD 6946 Internship
Students may take electives outside the Department. These electives must be selected from a list of approved electives or must be approved by Certificate Chair.
*Depending on the topic of the course and pending MPA Program approval, PAD 5934 (Contemporary Issues) may be counted as a certificate elective.
How to Apply
In order for you to be officially considered for admission to a Graduate Certificate program, you must be a degree-seeking student and complete the graduate certificate application and submit the $30 application fee to FIU's Office of Graduate Admissions. To submit a graduate certificate application visit the applications website or download the application here.