Public Management & Civic Leadership
Chair: Dr. Susannah Ali, MPA Director
The Certificate in Public Management & Leadership Studies prepares students for the evolving nature of civic leadership through coursework and practice that emphasizes relationship building, change management, global dynamics, intercultural understanding, and collaboration.
The goal of this certificate program is to foster civic leadership and engagement in the FIU student body by encouraging a consideration of leadership from multiple perspectives and contexts. Through involvement with the campus and greater community, students will become engaged in their own professional leadership education and development.
Required Courses (12 credits)
- PAD 5043 Equitable and Inclusive Governance
- PAD 5416 Social Equity and Human Resource Management
- PAD 6434 Leadership and Decision-making
- PAD 6907 Independent Study
Elective Courses (3 credits)
- PAD 5435 Gender Equity and Leadership in Public Administration
- PAD 6053 Political, Social, and Economic Context of PA
- PAD 6156 Applied Organization Theory and Behavior
- PAD 6436 Professionalism and Ethics
- PAD 6209 Financial Management in Public and Nonprofit Organizations
- PAD 6605 Administrative Law and Procedures
- PAD 6710 IT & E Government
- PAD 6807 Urban and Municipal Government Administration
- PAD 6946 Internship
The Certificate Program requires completion of 15 credit hours of coursework (“B” or better required) and must complete an advising meeting prior to enrollment to outline their professional development, training, and community engagement goals.
Students will meet with a Certificate Advisor at least once a semester to report their progress and prepare a portfolio artifact (e.g. policy memo, website, infographic) to be submitted in their final semester.
Students will be expected to attend at least six (6) approved FIU Student Conferences, educational training and/ or seminars and document completion of one community engagement project prior to completion.
The Ferre Institute for Civic Leadership
How to Apply
In order for you to be officially considered for admission to a Graduate Certificate program, you must complete the graduate certificate application and submit the $30 application fee to FIU's Office of Graduate Admissions. To submit a graduate certificate application visit the applications website or download the application here.