Urban Policy Innovations
Co-Chair: Dr. Shaoming Cheng, Department Chair
Co-Chair: Dr. Susanah Ali, MPA Director
The Graduate Certificate in Urban Policy Innovations is designed to provide critical analytical and policymaking skills to public and nonprofit leaders and professionals. It prepares them to identify, analyze, and develop innovative policy solutions for urban issues and challenges in areas of, including but not limited to, housing, transportation, economic development, urban revitalization, sustainability and resilience, smart growth, social equity, law enforcement and crime, climate change, and health care. The certificate is devoted to developing the next generation of problem solvers, policy innovators, and public leaders. It provides professional training and career preparation for those seeking careers and advancements in the design, implementation, evaluation, and advocacy of public policies, as analysts, consultants, and elected officials in the local, state, and federal governments. The content of this certificate is aligned with FIU’s urban mission of providing inclusive learning and with the mission of the NASPAA-accredited Master of Public Administration (MPA) program which develops quality workforce in public policy, administration and management. This certificate program is open to degree seeking students only.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- PAD 5256 Economic Thinking in Policy Making
- PUP 6006 Public Policy Analysis and Evaluation
- PUP 6105 Urban Challenges and Policy Innovations
Elective Courses (6 credits)
- PAD 5043 Government and Minority Group Relations
- PAD 5805 Economic Development and Urban Revitalization
- PAD 6156 Applied Org Theory & Behavior
- PAD 6205 Public Financial Management
- PAD 6366 Policy & Program Implementation
- PAD 6436 Professionalism & Ethics
- PAD 6605 Administrative Law and Procedures
- PAD 6717 GIS Applications for Urban Management
- PAD 6807 Urban and Municipal Government Administration
- PAD 6816 Regional and State Government Administration
- PAD 6836 Development Administration
- PUP 6015 Public Policy
- URP 5426 Emergency Management and Planning
- URP 6315 Introduction to Urban Planning and Growth Management
- URP 6930 Special Topics in Urban and Regional Studies
- PAD 5934* Contemporary Issues in Public Administration
- PAD 6946 Internship
Students may take electives outside the Department. These electives must be selected from a list of approved electives or must be approved by the Certificate Co-Chairs.
*Depending on the topic of the course and pending MPA Program approval, PAD 5934 (Contemporary Issues) may be counted as a certificate elective.
How to Apply
In order for you to be officially considered for admission to a Graduate Certificate program, you must be a degree-seeking student and complete the graduate certificate application and submit the $30 application fee to FIU's Office of Graduate Admissions. To submit a graduate certificate application visit the applications website or download the application here.